Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Introduction

Welcome to my blog. I feel an introduction is necessary. First and foremost I want to explain why I have titled my blog “Turn on your Light and wash the darkness away.” There are two reasons actually the first is that is a direct quote from the chorus of one of my favorite songs entitled “We All Need Some Light” by the progressive rock super group Transatlantic. The second is because I’ve always felt this song is a phenomenal paraphrase of Jesus’ words in Matthew 14-16:

“14 You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

That is what my blog is going to be about. I will show how the Light of Christ is shining in our culture even in places such as ‘secular’ music, movies and books. I will then “let my Light shine before men” by sharing how I personally view the message of these songs movies and books line up with Scripture and are functioning as Light in our dark culture. Sometimes this will be a stretch, and I realize that. I welcome any disagreements and/or differing opinions and your comments are always welcome. All I ask it you read my opinions with an open mind, and I will promise to read your argument with an open mind.

I’ve found that I have opinions about so many things in life, and I am always zealous to share those opinions with everyone, anywhere and at anytime. This generally leads to me doing way too much talking when I am out with friends and way too little listening to what they have to say. I can’t count the number of times I have cut someone off by jumping in and saying “oh yeah I think…” or “yes I agree that reminds me of…” That is something God has really convicted me about in the last week and as I have been seeking Him about what I should do to keep myself from always having to jump in and share my opinion about things.

Ultimately I’ve realized that this highlights a problem with the sin of pride. You see I want my opinion to matter and to be heard because deep down I think it is more important than, or will better impress the guy or girl I am having a conversation with, and that is simply NOT true at all. Therefore, I feel that God has released me to write my ideas and opinions out on this blog and hopefully get some of that aggressive desire to always share my opinions on things out of my system in writing.

So here is what you will find on “Turn on your Light and wash the darkness away.” You will find my commentary on the music I am listening to, the movies I am watching and the books I am reading. You will find musings about how certain songs and movies illustrate Eternal Truths directly out of the Bible. You will find my thoughts on books I’ve been reading, which tend to be very Philosophical in nature (i.e. lately I’ve been reading works by C.S. Lewis, Francis Schaeffer, and John Piper). Most of the blogs will be between 300-600 words. I do not intend to write very long posts very often.

So here as we begin a new year I hope you will join me on my quest to be a better listener, and in the meantime write more about my opinions on things. Comments, as I said earlier, will always be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment